Aftercare » Cleaning your Dentures
While we offer free aftercare at the clinic to help keep your new dentures in tip top condition, here are a few guidelines to follow for the cleaning maintenance of your new dentures.
- It is important to keep your dentures clean in order to have good oral hygiene and maintain the appearance of them.
- Failure to do so can result in microorganisms, Plaque, and stubborn stains harbouring on your denture, which can aggravate infections and cause oral inflammation.
- Dentures should be cleaned on a regular basis throughout the day, starting from when we wake up first thing in the morning, after meals, and before we go to bed.
- Use of a denture cream and denture toothbrush is recommended, due to conventional toothpaste being abrasive, which can damage your dentures throughout time.
- Dentures should ideally be cleaned over a sink half full with water to absorb any impact in case the denture is dropped, as this can lead to fractures.
- Never immerse your dentures in boiling water as some denture cleaning tablets contain a bleaching compound which can suck the colour out of the denture throughout time.
- Clean all surfaces of the denture including the underside which contacts the gums.
- Brush your gums, tongue and palate at least twice a day when dentures are removed, this stimulates circulation, you can also use a mouth wash to promote fresh breath.
- Over a period of time Plaque will eventually build up, in which case you should consult your CDT as they will be able to provide a deep clean through the use of ultrasonic baths and re-polishing.